By the Editorial staff
PFIZER is one of the world’s largest biotechnology companies and has always been involved in the research, development, production and marketing of medical products. With over 78,000 employees, research centres in various countries and 43 production plants, the Pfizer Group reaches over 125 countries with its products. The company, which has been active in Italy since 1955, is an important industrial player in our country, with a turnover in 2020 of around €800 million and with over 2000 employees. Its headquarters are in Rome, where the administrative offices are located. In Milan there are the international offices of Pharmacovigilance and of Regulatory Strategy, a global oncology clinical development research group. In addition to these facilities, there are production plants in Ascoli Piceno and Catania.
Every day, some 2,000 Italian employees work to bring the most innovative, effective and safe therapies to doctors and patients, in line with our purpose: “Breakthroughs that change patients’ lives”. As such, our commitment goes far beyond the treatment or prevention of disease. Major global challenges – economic, health, social and environmental – are part of Pfizer’s daily agenda, and we are called upon to do our part at the local level.
For over 170 years, Pfizer has been working to make a difference and, in line with the parent company, the Italian subsidiary pursues its objectives of equity and sustainability by referring to the 17 Sustainable Development Goals for 2030 launched by the UN. In particular, the company has adopted the 5th, on “Gender Equality” and the 10th, on “Reducing Inequalities”, among others.
The theme of Diversity & Inclusion has been central to Pfizer globally for over a decade, with the aim of developing and implementing programmes to:
– Help employees appreciate the value of diversity and experience Pfizer as a fair and collaborative environment in which to build a successful career;
– Empower managers and leaders to create inclusive and equitable workplaces;
– Empower stakeholders to understand the value of diversity through innovative product development and sound, responsible management of the company.
The Italian team was formed in 2015 and is called DNa, Diversity is Natural, because in nature diversity is a treasured resource.
The team was created to promote balance and harmony within a global company in which many ethnic groups and cultures coexist. We are convinced that – as happens in nature – each individual’s characteristics serve to create a mosaic of experiences and skills, strengthening the company and making its relationship with patients more meaningful.
Our efforts are focused on diversity, inclusion and collaboration: we want to provide the tools and insights to overcome difficulties at work together, to balance professional and family responsibilities, to promote a multi-faceted and empowering corporate culture, where each person is unique and makes a truly valuable contribution.
Since 2015, many initiatives have been developed, including:
– the Dnalphabet campaign
– the Pfizer Power of People (POP) campaign – a promoted by the DNA Team to give a voice to diversity and inclusion through a song. All employees were asked to participate and sing Equally Unique, a song written specifically for the initiative
– Street Art – the street artist GAIA created a mural inspired by the themes of diversity, on the façade of the Liceo Artistico Caravaggio in the Tor Marancia district of Rome
– On the Road to Diversity campaign – a journey to discover the differences between colleagues from different sites and company functions
– Voice Over: Put yourself in their shoes – to understand others, there is nothing more effective than putting yourself in their shoes, so colleagues went to dubbing school to prepare to lend their voices to a film character
– Share your diversity – aimed at sharing with colleagues one’s own aptitudes or hobbies outside work by making one’s know-how available
In 2018 and 2019, Pfizer also supported Roma Pride, expressing its commitment to the inclusion of diversity in sexual orientation and identity.
Pfizer is a member of Parks Liberi e Uguali, a non-profit association created to encourage the spread of diversity management, particularly involving LGBT workers.
At the global level, the OPEN group (Out Pfizer Employee Network), which is entirely dedicated to the inclusion of the LGBT community, is one of the most active, including in Italy.